Map      ¨           Monroe Area Chamber of Commerce      ¨         The Monroe Journal     ¨        Pilgrimage on Parade

Beatrice was established at the turn of the 20th century, and named for Beatrice Seymour, granddaughter of the railroad construction superintendent.  The town of Beatrice was settled while work continued on the construction of a railroad link between Selma, Alabama and the Louisville & Nashville Railroad terminal in Pensacola, Florida.  History remains a very important part of life in Beatrice. With historic buildings as well as many period homes and churches. 

Mrs. Barbara Robbins used her home as a boarding house known as The Robbins Hotel.  A depot was built with offices for the agent and waiting rooms for the white and black passengers.  Beatrice had two trains daily, one southbound from Selma to Pensacola and the other northbound from Pensacola to Selma.

In the 1900’s the Monroe Journal described Beatrice as “surrounded by beautiful and rich farming country, well timbered lands, pine, oak, poplar, ash, hickory and sweet gum, the purest and best water and one of the healthiest communities in the south.  This place is fast building; there are at present six first class store, barbershop, and shoe shop and all the hotel accommodations that the traveling people are looking for.  The Hotel McCreary, just completed is handsomely furnished with good beds and everything else necessary to make the guests happy and comfortable.  Beatrice will be the largest shipping point between Selma and Pensacola.  There are several farmers  within three to six miles of this place who handle from 200-300 bales of cotton annually.

 

 

This would undoubtedly be one of the finest places for a cotton factory in the south.  There is no petty jealousy or animosity here; the people are friendly and sociable helping each other.”

The town of Beatrice was incorporated in 1901.  During the first half of the century, Beatrice was a hub of commerce and activity in the area.  Business began to lag in the 60’s and 70’s.  The merchants created “Trade Days” to boost the economy.

The first School was called Quigley Institute.  The school was moved to Miss Minnie’s home.  Later it was moved to the present location of Beatrice Elementary School.  The school burned in 1956.  The gym and several houses across the street were used while the new school was being built.  In 1967 Shields Elementary integrated with Beatrice High School and Elementary School.

The original house of worship in the town of Beatrice was originally built by the Presbyterians but served as a place of worship for the Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian memberships.  The Baptist church was constructed in 1925 on its current location.  The Methodists competed their own church building in about 1926.